I listened to this great podcast Never Seen It. Guests come on and write a scene script for a film they’ve never seen. I’m not trying to ape that. There are neat games, and I’ve really taken a liking to one in particular. I’m pretty sure they’ve mostly lifted it from Wheel of Fortune, but it’s a Before and After game. It’s simple enough. They give a synopsis for a hypothetical film that’s a mash up of two pre-existing films. These films have titles linked by a word. Let’s give it a try.
So maybe the hypothetical title would be “Boss Baby Driver”. A combo of Boss Baby and Baby Driver. the synopsis might be something like: A business oriented infant with a penchant for music moonlights as a getaway driver for Kevin Spacey.
Is that clear enough? Let’s give it a crack. Scroll to the end for answers.
- Emma Stone stars as a clean cut student, who takes advantage of the school rumour mill to survive in a world where sound can be deadly.
- Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston learn valuable life lessons from their incorrigble dog with dissociative identity disorder, played by Jim Carrey.
- Jennifer Aniston pretends to be Adam Sandler’s soon-to-be-divorced wife in order to help him evade a much younger woman who stalks him across the world.
- A billionaire weapons merchant creates a mechanised suit to free Leonardo DiCaprio from the clutches of his evil twin brother, King Louis XIV.
- Two hapless losers are forced by the mob to deliver $50,000 to Australia, but must scramble to reclaim the money after it’s stolen by a Kangaroo, who happens to be Adam Sandler’s nerdy, passive aggressive sister.
- An alcoholic musician fosters a fresh rising talent, after his Vietnam War injuries leave him questioning the country he fought for.
- A couple navigates the frought nature of their multi-decade spanning relationship, after they’re magically transported to 1920s Paris everyday at midnight.
- After a car crash leaves a woman in an amnesiac state, she searches for truth in reality, with the aid of Nicolas Cage, a vengeful father who escaped from Hell to avenge his daughter’s death.
- Set in the 80s, a group of college baseball players navigate their way through the freedoms of adulthood, as they disguise themselves as part of an all-female band to hide from the mob.
- After a troubled youth is sentenced to community service, he falls in love with Mandy Moore and they solve racism through football. Mandy gets cancer.
That was fun and silly. Everyone ready for the answers?
- Easy A Quiet Place
- Marley and Me, Myself and Irene
- Just Go with It Follows
- Iron Man in the Iron Mask (this one might be cheating, but I couldn’t resist)
- Kangaroo Jack & Jill
- A Star Is Born on the Fourth of July
- Before Midnight in Paris
- Mullholland Drive Angry
- Everybody Wants Some Like it Hot
- A Walk to Remember the Titans
I’m pretty sure Nic Cage would star in any of these, given the chance. Dude just loves making movies.